Saturday 29 May 2010

I have a sneaky suspicion...

...that musicians are, in fact, egotistical arseholes. And this I am allowed to say because a) I was dragged up by one and b) I am dating one.

I have realised it is very difficult to shimmy along to a gig (or in this case, an open mic night) to support someone you know who is performing, without looking like a mindless groupie. On Thursday night I was literally on the verge of politely asking where it was I had to line up to dish out the various blowjobs to 'the band'. Please.

Musos will talk to each other about how endlessly cool they are, and if you are with the band but don't play an instrument, they presume you are a little band sheep/slapper. I admit, I am fairly egotistical at times- you have to be if you really want to make it in life. But I am also incredibly humble to people who deem me a good artist. Because I am grateful whenever someone bothers to come and look at my work, or sends me a message telling me to keep it up. It is lavely.

My hackles quite literally come a-rising, however, when I am made to feel like a groupie. In fact, why should anyone be seen as a groupie? I am talented in my own right thank you very much, and I am here to support those who have supported me.

The clincher was probably when we were leaving. A chap in the band I was with knew a singer girl (who shall not be named, because I'd quite like to pull out her teeth). The other two members of the band, and myself, met her for the first time at this event. Upon our departure she gave each guy a big hug and a big 'Ohmygodweshouldsototallymeetupanddo musicstuffohmygod'. Coming to me, I began the arm-out-stretch, presuming (foolishly, apparently) that I would recieve similar treatment. Oh no. I got a pat on the arm and a quite patronising 'Nice to meet you'. Charming. Now perhaps she was just being a bit of a bitch, lets be honest. But it felt more than that. It felt like a 'Oh, you were here too weren't you. Like their cheerleader'.

I managed to hold my tongue. Until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment